Saturday, January 31, 2009

The lovely state of Oregon

So as everyone knows, Dave and I travel to Oregon every 2 weeks for his work. It is about a 7 hour drive, and once you leave the state of Idaho, there is NO CIVILIZATION for the next 14 days. No Walmart, Target, restaurants, etc. I thought it was time that everyone got a feel for our adventures.

The town that we go to is John Day, and it has the ONLY stop light in the entire COUNTY. Yup, county. We rent a little apartment that is not known for its heating system. To say we are cold is an understatement. In fact, here a few pictures to prove just how cold it is. One is the inside of our window, and the other is a block of ice in the toilet!!!

We have a space heater that we carry around with us, and my husband recently bought us an electric blanket for our bed. It is not uncommon to see your breath in the air while we watch TV. We wear fleece from head to two, sometimes in multiple layers, and if they made fleece undergarments, I imagine that we would have those too. On our last trip through Boise, I found myself some grandpa, goldtoe, slippers that have been a true lifesaver. Some might ask, why in the world don't you dummies rent someplace with better heat?
The answer to that is threefold: 1. Our rent is cheap. 2. Heat is expensive in Oregon anyway because it is either electric, which doesn't work well, or it is oil-based. There is no gas heating anywhere in the county. 3. There are very few places to rent that don't make your toes curl.
A typical winter day includes working out, eating lunch (remembering to turn off the heater when using the microwave. I short the circuit at least once a day), watching Cash Cab or HGTV, driving around for activity, checking our e-mail (now done at the hospital since our laptop died), eating dinner, watching a TV or movie, scriptures, bed, repeat. Not a lot of variation....occasionally we go to the grocery store or to someone's house for dinner, and it is almost exciting when Dave is called in to work because it is something to do. Now you can imagine how shocking it is to leave the boredom and come back to Idaho where we are up early, juggling work, 4 kids, and the rest of the crazy schedule!
The reason I blog about this now is because we have to be in Oregon for 19 days in February instead of our usually 14, and it is really, really, really cold. We actually really love the people from the ward in Oregon, which makes the trips so much better, and it definitely makes us appreciate going home!
Driving through the mountains
The crazy, curvy mountain roads
This picture really doesn't truly explain the amount of snow we drove through in December
Ice in the toilet
Frost inside our window

2 comments:

H.Cook said...

what in the world??? I would not survive!

Jeff and Lindsay said...

Sounds like you are wasting away in freezing nee nee ville! Maybe you can find a quality basement apartment where the dirt around you keeps you warm! Tip: Antifreeze in the toilet prevents the ice and you don't have to flush as much! We love you guys! Lindsay insists that I tell you that I (Jeff) wrote this.